Friday, August 16, 2013

Deseret News 10k 2013

I had such a good experience doing my first 10k last summer for the Deseret News Classic on Pioneer Day, I wanted to do it again this year. I was really hoping to improve upon my time from 2012. I had a really crappy night of sleep and was feeling it the next day, but I tried to push it and I shaved off a minute and a half from the previous year. I was happy with my pace, a 9.2 minute average. (It kinda helps that the first half of the course is on a slight decline!)

As he did last year, Steve dropped me off, then found a place mid-route to cheer me on and take pictures. Again, he almost missed me, even though I was frantically waving my arms in the air as I was approaching him and yelling his name.

I got his attention just in the nick of time.
At this moment, I am saying to Steve, "I'm TIRED!" And he goes into coach mode by telling me, "You're 3 minutes behind, let's go, let's go, LET'S GO!"
I immediately start running faster, then think to myself, "He's full of crap, he's just saying that to 'motivate' me". Well, I guess it did work, for a moment anyhow.
 Hallelujah, I'm done!
I compare running a race to childbirth; in the midst of it, especially towards the end when you are wearing down, you think to yourself, "this sucks, I don't wanna do this again." But then when it's over and you recover, you realize how awesome it was and can't wait for the chance to do it again.

1 comments:

Bowen Family said...

Awesome job! You are amazing!