We got together with my sister Lorna and her family for Christmas Eve this year. Lorna had a fun idea to do an "international night" and try dishes from other countries.
The main "dish" that Alex was intrigued by was his cousins gingerbread house. He just couldn't resist.

Steph made Flautas from Mexico. Steve made southern style Mac 'n Cheese. Of course "the South" is not international, but believe me, some of the food they eat there is pretty out of the ordinary so we decided to include southern food in the menu.

My brother-in-law Paul is from Finland, so he made a Finnish sugar cake. Lorna's holding a Finnish dish that I can't even pronouce, let alone spell. It's a rice pudding type mixture baked in a rye dough. She also made Piroshkis (sp?) and Teriyaki kabobs from Guam.

My nephew Josef served his mission in Taiwan, so he made fried rice.

This California girl occasionally tries to appease the Southern blood in the family, so I made a Banana Pudding which is a big dessert in the South. We were all completely stuffed...way too many carbs in one sitting, but everything was really good and we had fun trying new things!
4 comments:
What a cool idea! I love that your family is exploring new cultural traditions! I may have to steal this one...
Indeed, that is a cool idea! Thanks for sharing! Everything looked really yummy!
What a fun idea! It all looks delish!!
Yes we have had banana pudding at every event! I had never tried it before I moved here, its pretty good.
Post a Comment