Saturday, August 4, 2012

Deseret News 10k

I've never been much of a runner, but I have learned to enjoy it more and have become a little better at it over the past year. I've done some 5k's before and really enjoyed that. I've wanted to push myself a little more, but certainly am not ready for a half-marathon so I thought a 10k (6.2 miles) would be a good middle ground for me. I'd heard the Deseret News 10k was supposed to be a good course, particularly because much of it is on a decline. So... I signed up, got really nervous right before, but ended up having so much fun and was happy with my time.

Steve dropped me off at the starting line, then went and found a place to park at about mile 3 so that he could cheer me on and snap a few pictures. I spotted him from about a block or two away, but he was so busy cheering on all the runners that he didn't even see me. I was waving my arms in the air as I'm running, but he still didn't see me until finally I shouted out "STEVE!!!" when I was about 20 feet in front of him and he frantically tries to get a picture as I'm running by. (Hence the blury pic!)
These pictures were taken by the professional photogs near the finish line. This top one cracks me up, because I know at that very moment (as I'm starting to poop out), I spotted the clock at the finish line. It had just struck 59 minutes, and I thought, "Oh my gosh, if I hurry I can finish before the hour mark!" That gave me enough oomph to step it up, and my actual chip time ended up being 58:33.
Tim, a friend of ours that I ran into after the race. A lot of people commented on how cool it was that I had the bib # 2000.
I definitely caught the bug and hope I can keep getting better at running!

7 comments:

Southern Belle said...

Look at those quads girl! Good job:)

Bowen Family said...

That is awesome! Great job! What an accomplishment!

Bowen Family said...

That is awesome! Great job! What an accomplishment!

dorneys said...

Way to go. I can go about 4 mailboxes.... U rock!!
Congrats

The Lymans said...

Great job, Lana!

Jer + Lu said...

Yeah Lana!!! You rock! Keep it up, girl-- you look like you were born to run :)

Brett & Honnelore said...

You go girl! You look great! Very impressive!