Sunday, July 22, 2012

P.V.D.D.

 P.V.D.D. is short for Post Vacation Depression Disorder, a condition that I both invented and self-diagnosed myself with. When people ask, "How was your vacation?" and I reply, "Great!", you would think that is a good thing. However, when your vacation is too great, it can lead to P.V.D.D. Here are some of the causes of this disorder...

Go camping in the beautiful Sierra Nevada Mountains and make memories with love ones...
Alex caught his first fish... with a Lightning McQueen fishing pole, no less!


Hike to a waterfall and jump in the "refreshing" (freezing) water.

No better way to celebrate the 4th of July than a trip to the beach...



then come home to a lovely homemade meal by Grandma.

Cool off in the summer heat by taking a dip in your sister's pool...



Leave your heart in San Francisco...

Make our traditional visit to Berkeley to the campus and then Blondie's Pizza.

With all those adventures aside, the very best part of vacation is just being at home. Nothing beats sitting in Grandma's lap for a story or teasing Grandpa with the sprinkler.

(Alex enjoying his morning cereal in Grandma and Grandpa's peaceful backyard)      
There is such a feeling of peace, security, love, etc. when you are at the home you grew up in. I think that's partly why I have such a hard time leaving. It certainly doesn't help when you grew up in such a place as Napa, California. 

For example, one morning I woke up early to the familiar "whoooooshing" sound of a hot air balloon making it's descent in a nearby neighborhood. I looked out the window and counted six off in the distance. I threw on my clothes and went out for a run in the cool Napa in July morning air.

Another day, I hopped on my dad's bike and took a little ride. Traveling down a country road lined with vineyards, even seeing a deer along the way seems like something from a movie scene. I literally had a smile plastered on my face the entire time as I thought, "This is heaven!"

I've now been back for a good week and a half and am finally easing myself back into the "real world". The cure, I have found, for P.V.D.D. is immersing yourself into work, chores and good old fashioned responsibilities.... And I hope to do it all over again next summer.

4 comments:

dorneys said...

Love that you diagnosed yourself, that is the perfect name. Looks like you all had so much fun. I can totally hear the balloons!

Janice Eide said...

Great job on your vacation narration. I am so happy you love coming back to your childhood home and sharing it with your family. We love having you visit.

Kristin said...

Seriously, who grows up in Napa?! So lucky. :)

Kelly said...

I understand. Getting home from vacation isn't always the most fun. Well, getting home is always nice, going back to work sometimes stinks.
Glad you had fun in Napa. I was thinking today how much I love Utah, the mountains, the beautiful clouds, the blue blue sky. (well, except for the days there were fires :)

Your vacation looked so relaxing!