Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Definition of a Missionary

I came across a quote the other day that I absolutely fell in love with. It says,

"mis-sion-ary (noun) a person who leaves their family for a while, so others can be with their
FAMILIES FOREVER"

My heart aches tonight as we just learned of a young man who went to Kearns High that Steph and Steve knew. He was nearing the end of his mission in Texas and was tragically killed, along with another missionary while riding their bikes. I can't begin to imagine the devastation and heartache these elder's families are feeling right now. I can only pray that the Lord will wrap His arms around them and bring them peace and hope at this time.

This also hits close to home as our family has 3 missionaries out in the field right now. I am so proud of these young men and am strengthened by their examples. I am also in awe of the strength of their mothers who bravely send their sons off for two years. The very thought of one day doing the same with Alex is more than I can fathom.

In the meantime, all I can do is continue to pray daily for these young men as I also pray that one day my son will be as valiant as his cousins.
Elder Kujanpaa- Indonesia


Elder Eide- Brazil


Elder Cragun- Baltimore, Maryland


4 comments:

dorneys said...

what a great post. Love the pictures of your nephews :) Hugs to Steve and Steph. So sad, I was just watching the news. He extended for 2 weeks! WOW! There is a special place in Heaven for them :)

Kristin said...

I immediately thought of you guys when I read that one of the elders was from Taylorsville. I can't help but think of those two elders continuing as companions on the other side...you really pulled at my heart strings with this post and the beautiful pictures. I'm so proud of them!

Kelly said...

I've been very emotional several times this week due the sweet missionaries that passed away. Just such sad sad news. I didn't know any of them,yet my heart hurts for their families.
I love the pictures of your missionaries. It's so cool that your family has 3! I love being around missionaries. They just are wonderful. We had 4 for dinner tonight. I love the spirit they bring with them.

Janice Eide said...

What a beautiful post. I also, love that quote. I am grateful for the service the two missionaries, that lost their lives, gave for the Kingdom. I had to shed a few tears reading the post, both for the missionaries who died and "our" missionaries who are serving in Brazil, Indonesia and Maryland.